What is a Blind CV?
Disadvantages of the blind CV
1) The anonymous CV only serves to postpone discrimination at later stages of the selection process where all information is revealed. Some critics even go further and suggest that highly prejudiced employers will interview more candidates, to ensure that at least one candidate belongs to their favorite group.
2) It is difficult for a curriculum to be completely anonymous. Recruiters can use other data to make assumptions about the hidden information. For example, knowledge of languages is an indicator of a person’s nationality; years of experience can help to know age, etc.
Advantages of blind CV
1) In an investigation by the German Institute for the Study of Work (IZA) it was concluded that anonymous job applications not only increased the chances of ethnic minorities being called for the interview, but also positively affected their chances of hiring.
2)In Spain, the State Secretariat for Social Services and Equality launched a pilot project (2018) to determine the success of this type of curriculum in our country. Candidates submitting their CVs to the selection processes should identify themselves with their initials and surnames, should not indicate their nationality or age, nor should a photo be attached. A total of 78 companies joined the initiative, including such important companies as Endesa, Ferrovial, Gamesa, IBM and Ikea. After the first months of implementation, one of the member companies managed to increase the recruitment of women from 12% to 36%. Thanks to this project it was shown that the use of blind CVs can mitigate discrimination since, according to their results, employers tend to be guided by their prejudices when deciding which candidates to interview.
How should recruiters react to the arrival of blind CVs?
1) It is the only real way they have to ensure that they comply with the current legislation of the country in question.
2)It is the global model of good practice.
3) It is the only legal way that they have to protect their candidates and avoid further conflicts, on their property with customers.